(402) 291-5400


Emergency Care

Emergency Care

When your child needs urgent dental treatment, we are there to help. Please call our office phone number (402) 291-5400 to obtain the number to call to leave a message. The doctor will call you back as soon as they can. We may need you to take several pictures of the area in order to determine a diagnosis.

What should I do if my child’s permanent tooth is knocked out?

If your child’s permanent tooth is knocked out, first find the tooth and pick it up with the crown (the broad part that you see in the mouth).
Gently rinse it in cool water (Do not scrub or clean with soap). If possible, try to put it back in the tooth socket immediately and hold it with a washcloth or gauze. If you are unable to put the tooth back in, place it in cold milk, or if milk is not available, in saliva or water. Don’t let it dry out. Immediately call our office. The faster the tooth is in the socket, the better the chances of saving the tooth.

What if the tooth is chipped or fractured?

First, make sure to rinse the mouth out and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling if the lip is injured. If it is a permanent tooth look for the fragment and keep it in milk or water, if milk is not available. Call our office and we will have you send us photos of the tooth.

What should I do if my child’s baby tooth is knocked out?

Call our emergency number. The baby tooth should not be re-implanted as it could cause damage to the developing permanent tooth.

What should I do if my child has severe blow to the head or jaw fracture?

This is considered a medical emergency, and you should take your child to the nearest Emergency Room.

What if my child has toothache?

Call our office. Clean the area around the sore tooth thoroughly. Rinse the mouth vigorously with warm salt water or use dental floss to dislodge trapped food or debris. You can give them over the counter Tylenol or Ibuprofen. You may also apply cold compress to the sore area if swollen, but do NOT apply heat or place aspirin on the gum or aching tooth.

What if my child has a cut or bitten tongue, lip, or cheek?

Apply ice to the bruised areas. If there is bleeding, apply firm but gentle pressure with a clean gauze or cloth. If bleeding does not stop after 15 minutes or cannot be controlled by simple pressure, take the child to a hospital emergency room.

Location & Contact


Location & Contact